Action on Council
- As we strive to make this the best place to live for everyone, council approved a Youth Needs Assessment which identified key priorities for our youth.
- Similarly, Council has directed Administration to undertake a strategic review of the needs of seniors in our community in order to create a roadmap to guide future planning.
- Council expanded its grant programs to over $1 million, creating partnerships with non-profit organizations who deliver a variety of services to residents
- Policies have been developed making Strathcona County a more diverse and inclusive community
Protecting the Environment
- Council approved a plan to evaluate all county buildings to reduce our carbon emissions by 15% by 2030
- Council is working with administration to evaluate county vehicles including transit to find savings through increased fuel efficiency, reduce idling, and right-sizing the fleet
- Supporting the development of hydrogen as an alternative source of clean energy
- Council advocated with the Alberta Government to prohibit the expansion of coal mining on the eastern slope in order to protect our water supply
- Council passed an environmental sustainability framework which will become a lens for evaluating all future projects
- If I am re-elected I will continue to promote environmental sustainability and carbon reduction in municipal operations
Recreation and Culture Strategy
- A new twelve-year Recreation and Culture Strategy has been approved based on feedback from over 33,000 residents that lays out key priorities and an action plan for future amenities.
- A multi-sport field house is currently in design
- Pointe Aux Pins Acres will go to tender this spring creating an agricultural hub for this community.
Service to Youth
- Conducted a youth asset and needs assessment which identified affordable housing, improved transit service, mental health supports and more youth friendly spaces as future priorities
- Seniors housing options have been expanded through Heartland Housing Foundation and through private developers
- A study is currently under way to explore how the Old Cloverbar Lodge site might be re-purposed for affordable housing
Growth and Development
- Council has approved new grow areas in Hillshire, Cambrian Crossing, Bremner and Ardrossan which will allow Strathcona County to blossom in the years ahead
- Over the past four years, council has been able to reduce taxes by 2.18% while continue to plan for the growth of the community.
Supporting Local Businesses and Industry
- Faced with the challenges of COVID, Council created three task forces to analyze how the community has been affected.
- A shop local campaign was developed
- A tax incentive program was created to encourage future industrial growth
Improving Broadband and Internet Services
- A plan to improve internet services in rural and industrial areas is currently in development
Cutting Red Tape
- A Red Tape Reduction task force was created to explore ways to streamline our permitting processes
The Road Ahead
The Future is Bright
While I am proud of the work that our Council has done over the past four years, the work has only just begun. As we move forward, my goals on Council will be as follows:
- Develop a new strategic plan focused on innovation, growth, respect for the environment and community building
- Develop an affordable housing strategy so that people of all ages are able to call Strathcona County home
- Expand broadband services to ensure that residents and businesses have effective cell phone and internet service no matter where they live
- Diversify Strathcona County’s economy as we grow our business community and tourism industry
- Support development of Alberta’s Industrial Heartland and Canada’s Hydrogen Hub
- Implement the action plan as outlined with the Recreation and Culture masterplan
- Build a Seniors Hub to expand recreation opportunities and programming options for seniors in a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe space
- Celebrate! As we move out of COVID, I look forward to watching our community come alive again as we celebrate being alive post-pandemic!